GLUTEN-FREE FLOUR TORTILLA’s are the STAR OF THIS SHOW!
Ingredients needed are in BOLD!
Using a food processor and a 9x13 baking dish
Gluten-Free Flour Tortilla
Minutes to Prepare: 15. Minutes to Cook: 35. Number of Servings: 8
2 c. Gluten-free all purpose flour (or 2 c. White rice flour)
2 tsp. Xanthan gum or Guar gum
1 tsp. Gluten-free baking powder
2 tsp. Brown sugar
1 tsp. Salt
1 c. Warm water
1) Add the dry ingredients to a large mixing bowl and mix the ingredients thoroughly.
2) Add the cup of warm water to the bowl and mix the dry ingredients into the water with your hand until it’s an even mixture.
3) Separate the dough into 8 pieces and roll each piece into a ball. Place all but one of the dough balls back into the bowl and cover with plastic wrap until you're ready to work with them.
4) Sprinkle a clean, flat surface with a bit of buckwheat flour and then roll your dough ball into a roughly circular shape and get as thin as possible.
5) Throw the tortilla onto a hot griddle (I use a cast iron griddle on medium heat with just a smidge of olive oil) and let it cook approximately 1-2 minutes or until it has started puffing up and the bottom side is developing those lovely brown spots. Flip the tortilla and cook the other side until is toasty as well.
6) Slide the cooked tortilla onto a covered plate to stay warm and repeat from step 4 until you've cooked all 8 tortillas. I generally roll one tortilla out while another is cooking, so that there is always a tortilla on the griddle.
GREEN SAUCE for ENCHILADA’s
4 Green chilis (I had use cubanelle’s it’s ALL we had at the grocery )
**Can roast the peppers and remove the skin. I chose not to in this recipe.
1 Onion- diced
4 Garlic cloves- minced
1 Jalepeńo-cut small/minced
½ cup cilantro
3 Limes juiced
3 TBS olive oil
1 ½ Cup chicken broth
1/2 cup water
1 tsp salt
1 Cumin powder
¼ tsp oregano
In food processor:
All the ingredients above. Blend real well.
Place mixture in a sauce pan on medium heat and bring to a boil. Slowly adding the flour mixture and whisking. Simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat
***2 # top round OR ground beef. Cook in Sauce pan or frying pan. Drain. Then add some of the green sauce and mix.
**Your favorite cheddar cheese.(Notice I have no amount here because I feel that this amount is a preference.) I LOVE a sharp cheddar mix!
Using a 9x13. Place a cup or more in the baking dish until the bottom is completely covered.
Take GF Flour tortilla, Fill with around ½ cup of cooked and drained beef. Top with a tablespoon or 2 of the sauce then cheese, as you desire. Close the tortilla and place the seam down in the baking dish.
When they are all rolled place remaining sauce on the top. Top with cheese.
Bake in preheated 350° oven for 20-25 minutes or until cheese is brown and you can see the sauce is lightly bubbling on the side!
*In the pictured below I didn't use the 9x13 baking dish because we froze a portion for our son!
Jen Fiore has been cooking and baking gluten-free for herself and her family since 2003 & is happy to share her recipes with you!