Preheat oven to 350°
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 45- 50 minutes
4-5 quart baking dish
3 large zucchinis
3 yellow zucchini squash
3-4 Tbsp butter, divided
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
1 sweet onion, diced
4-ounce jar of pimentos, drained
3 large eggs, beaten
5 slices cooked bacon, cut into bite size pieces (or store-bought bacon bits)
1 ½ cup shredded cheddar, divided
1 ½ cup crushed “saltine”- like crackers, divided
½ tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
1 tsp fresh rosemary, chopped
1. Sliced the zucchini into ½” disks and then place in a large sauce pan with in 2 Tbsp butter and 1 Tbsp olive oil and steamed the squash. Cook around 4-5 minutes uncovered. Then an additional 4-5 minutes covered. They should be beginning to get soft. Place into a large mixing bowl.
2. In a smaller sauce pan, add 1 -2 Tbsp of butter and onions and sauté. Place into large mixing bowl.
3. Add pimentos, eggs, crumbled pieces of bacon, 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, and 1 cup crushed crackers into the mixing bowl and mix.
4. Place this mixture into a baking dish. Top the mixture with remaining ½ cup crackers and ½ cup cheese.
5. Bake for 45 - 50 minutes and golden brown on top.
Jen Fiore has been cooking and baking gluten-free for herself and her family since 2003 & is happy to share her recipes with you!